Friday, June 10

the 10-second Guat review

Now that I finally have a little bit of time to breathe and have started to determine some semblance of 'normal', I guess we're due for an update.

Guatemala was incredible. It was beyond words. It broke my heart in so many ways and left me feeling like my soul is spread into two different countries and, no matter where I am, I'm never really 'whole.'

It's impossible to sum up the trip in a way that's both meaningful and does justice to the realities of Guatemala, so, instead, here's some random pictures. For more detailed stories, my guatemala blog is still in existence.

The semester adventure crew, on top of the most famous temple at Tikal (Templo del Gran Jaguar, featured in Star Wars, lots of historical sight info...good times.) I'd say it pretty well displays our interesting personalities and sense of humor.

 Just, please believe me here...everything about Guatemala is beautiful. Yes, some parts hurt and you have to dig to find the hope and beauty there, but it's there. Even in the (surprisingly comfortable all considering!) traditional clothing.
We'd do just about anything to help out with each other at school, including being models for presentations.

This woman is a saint. Her name is Gloria and she's the reason I now consider myself as functionally bilingual. Her patience, humor, and genuine desire for justice spurred me on every day.
{Gloria, eres uno de las personas del mundo que ha enseñado y ayudado me lo más. Otra vez, gracias no esta suficiente. También, todavía, mi Español esta mejorando.}


These kids. Oh my heart. Semillas de Amor basically just gave me an extra mountain of little siblings that I'll love forever. Reading homework (plus any other homework that needed help getting done) four days a week with some of the silliest, most difficult, frustrating, beautiful, sensitive kiddos out there. When my return trip happens, seeing them will be on the itinerary.

1 comment:

please don't hesitate to tell me what you're thinking!